Brethren Woods has always been a safe and healthy place. Camp leadership takes seriously the trust that you, as a camper parent or guardian place in us, as well as the responsibility we have to provide a healthy environment and the highest level of care for our campers and staff. We work hard to meet and exceed the highest professional standards set forth by the Department of Health and the American Camp Association, which inspect and accredit our program and facility.
Health and hygiene practices and communicable disease protocols at Brethren Woods include:
- Conducting Health History Reviews and Health Screenings on the first day of camp for all campers and staff
- Mandatory hand-washing and hand-sanitizing prior to all meals and snacks, including cookouts and packouts
- Easy access and availability to hand-washing facilities and/or hand-sanitizer for frequent use
- Regular and thorough cleaning and disinfection of restrooms, gathering spaces, the dining hall, and living areas
- A daily check for living area cleanliness by the Health Manager
- Staff-monitored personal hygiene including teeth brushing and showering
- Teaching, modeling, and coaching “best practices” for coughing and sneezing into shoulders/elbows or tissues
- And campers’ favorite – a daily “chlorine dunk” in the swimming pool!
With the waves of information coming out regarding the COVID-19 virus, we want to encourage you to stay up to date with information provided by your state and local health departments. We want to assure you that we are continuing to monitor reliable sources for any and all pertinent information in order to make prudent and proactive decisions. We will be making any needed adjustments regarding our summer program, staff training, and operations as we move through the spring season.
As we approach our March 31st earliest registration deadline – which saves families the most money on our summer camp programs(!) – we want you to be able to register your child with confidence. With that in mind, we are modifying our deposit and registration payment policies for 2020 in the following ways:
- If your child’s summer camp program needs to be canceled because of the COVID-19 virus based on Department of Health recommendations, local, state, or federal government regulations, or the decision of camp leadership (including the Director and Camp Doctor), any registration payments, including the full non-refundable/non-transferable deposit, will be refunded to the camper family or credited toward a future camp program, based on the preference of the family.
- If your child is unable to attend summer camp because of the COVID-19 virus based on a written physician’s note, Department of Health recommendations, or local, state, or federal regulations, any registration payments, including the full non-refundable/non-transferable deposit, will be credited toward a future camp program OR the registration payments minus the non-refundable/non-transferable deposit will be refunded to the family and the non-refundable/non-transferable deposit will be credited toward a future camp program, based on the preference of the family.
You have nothing to lose when you choose Brethren Woods again this year! When your camper arrives in June or July, we’ll be ready, as always, to provide them with a safe and healthy camp experience of fun, faith, and friendship!
In the meantime, know that our prayers are with each of our camper families, our church partners, and the communities around our country and our world that are affected in many ways by the COVID-19 virus. We are striving to follow Jesus’ example and choosing love and hope in the midst of fear and uncertainty. If you have needs that we can help to meet or ways that the Christian community can assist you in this time, please reach out to us.
See You this Summer!
Your Friends at Brethren Woods