BROWSE OUR FACILITIES
Brethren Woods offers several facilities for day and overnight activities ranging from rustic to homey. We are happy to cater your event -- everything from a formal dinner, to buffet meals, to snacks.
Fees for rentals are listed with each facility.
Church of the Brethren groups contact for rental rates.
E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or call 540-269-2741 to reserve your space.
OPPORTUNITIES DURING YOUR STAY
Brethren Woods offers numerous recreational and educational opportunities. Below is a partial listing of what you can do while you're here. While some activities require advance reservations and fees, other activities allow you to do as you please, when you please. Balls and other game equipment are kept in Mountain Lodge. Though you are welcome to use this equipment recognize other rental groups may have the same idea. Rule of thumb goes like this: If you're depending on it, bring it.
Basketball Volleyball Four Square Horse Shoes
Softball Frisbee Soccer Ping Pong
Campfires Cookouts Picnics Tenting
If you like to hike, or bird watch, there are several trails around camp and many trails close by in the National Forest. There is also a keyed, self-guided nature trail. Ask camp staff for more information.
CAMP STAFF RESOURCES
The camp staff can be a resource to your group. Call ahead to arrange; there is a fee for some activities.
- The Challenge Course (2-8 hours)
- Caving (at a cave a 20 minute drive west of camp, 4-6 hours)
- Hike to the falls (4 miles round trip, 3 hours)
- Hike across Massanutten Mt. (6.5 miles, 5-7 hours)
- Overnight Backpacking in Massanutten Mt. (6.5 miles, 24 hours)
- Day Canoe Float on the Shenandoah River (7 miles, 7-8 hours)
- Compass Learning (1 hour)
- Nature Experiences
- Doing a Camp service project (See camp staff for details).
- Tour of camp facilities (1 hour)
- Canoeing on our pond (swimming is not allowed)
- Fishing on our pond (catch and release only, use barbless hooks).
- Swimming at the Pool (Available between Memorial Day and Labor Day, group use only).
WHAT TO EXPECT
You'll find each facility you've rented unlocked and keys for the building(s) and canoe shed will be waiting for you. Your host (a camp staff person) will leave a note with valuable information and how to contact him or her.
If it's between Labor Day and Memorial Day, we'll also leave you keys to the swimming pool. Be sure to provide a lifeguard for your group and follow all posted rules.
If the weather is cold, the wood stove will be blazing. Please keep it going to conserve energy costs.
If the weather is hot, enjoy it! Buildings equipped with AC include: Mill Creek Cabin and Pine Grove.
Bring your own toiletries. Toilet paper is supplied.
Bring your own audio visual needs, flip charts, markers, and presentation materials.
We encourage all users to recycle. Signs describing our practices are posted in each kitchen.
Cleaning supplies and checklist are available to enable you to leave the facility clean when you depart.
Emergency numbers are posted at each telephone. Bring your calling card to make long distance calls.
Unique to our setting is the great outdoors. Be sure you get to enjoy it while you're here.